Old
01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
WHL expert?

Nino and Ryan fed off of each other in Portland. There's no other way to put it - Ryan is a smooth set-up guy, physical, with good hands. Nino is an up-and down player with a wicked shot ... also physical. I do see the concerns with his skating, but it isn't bad enough that it will cost you goals. His hockey IQ isn't off the charts, but it isn't bad either. I was a little bit surprised to see him go 5th overall - I thought he was a 'tweener top-10 pick personally, though I also had Ryan Johansen listed somewhere around 8. What was interesting was that, as his draft season wore on, while Ryan and Brad Ross seemed to ramp up and get better, Nino seemed to taper off and become less effective. The following year he was - good - not nearly great. Last year is a year he will have to forget if he's going to put a decent career together.

I mentioned on the other thread that I think he's worth an Erixon or Savard straight up - OR one of the late first round picks that we'll have in this upcoming draft. As for a future comparison, I think his upside would be around Ruslan Fedotenko. I don't think he's a top line player, but he could still develop into a middle-6 two-way sort of banging forward that chips in scoring occasionally.

I'm not a fan of getting guys just because they played with someone else in another league or in junior. While it does work out sometimes, I think people weigh too much into it. Great players will be great whether they're with their old pals or not. The two definitely had chemistry in Portland, but I don't see the point in over-paying for the guy just to re-unite them. Then you have to ask yourself if you try to get Brad Ross, you know, because it "makes sense".
Thanks!

When you say "not off the charts, but not bad either", are we talking right square in the middle? Are we talking adequate? Are we talking "marginally better than Rico Fata"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Well then he's an upgrade.

I'm not saying who he will become. I am stating that Snow isn't going to take a lowball offer on the back of his rookie season. Any expectation of that is downright silly.

We may not think it is a lowball offer, but at this point it is to the GM that drafted him and certainly to their fanbase. Let us go vulture somewhere else shall we? If we really thought he was going to end up as a Brule, we wouldn't be offering Savard would we?
Oh, I know. My point is that, if Niederreiter had spent last year outside the NHL and was being shopped right now, his value would be a lot higher.

I don't see him being moved because I'd have to believe that, around the league, a lot of GMs are questioning exactly how a guy with this type of skill produced so little last year. I think there would be an inherent mismatch between what anyone will offer (at max) and what the Islanders would ever consider (at minimum), and the two won't ever be close to meeting.

Then again, I'm also the same guy who said during June that I'd have offered pick #45 to Vancouver for Luongo, and nothing more.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote