View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If the season goes to hell and they get a 5-15 pick I really hope they don't use it on D. Late firsts or 2nds, sure. Ideally I'd use first and 2nd rounders on forwards and then splooge for like 8 defensemen in the later rounds.
It depends on who's available. From 5-15 you're talking about Ristolainen, Nurse, Pulock & Zadorov mainly with maybe some others in the fringe. I wouldn't take any of them over Monahan or Shinkaruk but after that I'm not sure there's a can't miss forward outside the top five. Nichushkin checks many boxes but I'd probably go with Ristolainen or Nurse over him. Lazar, Wennberg & Horvat are fairly safe center prospects IMO but you'd be banking on their hockey sense and work ethic translating to 2C production more than sheer skill level. Erne is another option and they could definitely use a capable left-handed winger.

At this point it's probably actually easier to integrate one of those D in a year or two than a forward that not only has to adjust to NHL pace/strength but also what's increasingly a disjointed forward group. More skill wouldn't hurt, of course, but the existing spotty decision-making and work ethic would not make it easy on young forwards.

I like the leadership potential of those second-tier centers but this team could use that on defense as well.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote