View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
That's a very good question, but IMO Zadorov would have to be the BPA by far for Murray to draft him. There might be a russian bias factor, KHL or not.
Russian bias could account for Grigorenko falling like he did in the last draft. In other words, it's not just Murray.

Basically I think the analysis is too simplistic.

What is the proportion of Russians drafted in the 1st round? Do they tend to go quite high? When did Murray pick?

I think it's right to assume a general aversion to draft Russians (primarily due to the high salaries offered in Russia) which is pervasive league-wide. However in particular, I think Murray is inclined NOT to draft Russians in later rounds.

The 3% figure offered by the OP likely overstates this bias as it applies to Murray simply because he has not had the opportunity to draft the cream of the crop when it comes to Russians. If Murray has the chance to draft Zadorov and he is the BPA, I expect him to take Zadorov.

But if you're up early on Day 2 of the draft and waiting to cream your pants for a 2nd-7th round Russian draft pick, best to hold your horses because THAT is where the bias is actually reflected.

source is offline   Reply With Quote