View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 01:52 PM
SJGoalie32

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Some of you act ashamed to live in a place that caters more to residents than it does to tourists.
I don't think "ashamed" is a fair term at all.

Lived here my entire life (save for a few years where I went to college out of state). Love this area and don't want to ever live anywhere else.....but I know what it is and what it isn't.

It's a great place to live.....but it's a pretty terrible destination for tourists looking for things to see and do. Especially compared to other infinitely more enjoyable tourist stops both near and far. We all know this. It's part of why we live here.....because we can go to so many other fun places without having to actually live on top of them. So if others ask, people tell them where to go.

Grew up in Sunnyvale. Loved it. Would never tell anybody visiting from out of town, "Oh, you simply have to go visit......the dilapated bankrupt mall that they tore down and are now kinda sorta rebuilding maybe if they get around to it but that still has a Target.....and while you're there, don't forget to check out.....the two blocks of bars and restaurants that have the exact same food and drinks you can get everywhere else."

I love my house. I love my neighborhood. I'm not ashamed of them. I just know my front lawn isn't a thriving tourist destination. Come for the unwatered flower bed, stay for the malfunctioning garage door!

Likewise, I love visiting downtown SF, but I wouldn't live there again. Great place to visit, would hate to raise children there.

If someone wants to know where would be a great place to live and work, I can think of no greater place. If someone's looking for unique sights and unforgettable experiences, I'm not going to tell them, "Skip Alcatraz and avoid wine country and just go straight to......Vallco."

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote