View Single Post
Old
06-25-2006, 06:15 AM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
Yeah; in hindsight we got some decent prospects - McKeen's had Fischer 17th, Maxwell 25th and White 40th, so that's decent value (Carle was 102nd). I would have liked to have left the draft with Stewart, Maxwell and White; or Summers, Maxwell and White, but two out of three ain't bad, and the Habs did well to add an extra second rounder

At least Maxwell gives us a potential second-line center, and the team added four defencemen to the depth chart, so the team certainly drafted for need while I'm assuming still picking their BPAs.

Here's some McKeen's info on Maxwell from the Under 18s:

Has elite poise with the puck and excellent vision .. very soft hands and is the type of player that always seems to be getting a lot of extra time with the puck, which is a sign of quality talent .. an excellent player for running the powerplay, as he has a crisp passing and the ability to see the openings few others are capable of .. smooth skater, although his top speed is somewhat lacking, but that rarely bothers his game due to his puckhandling skills and hockey sense .. reads the game very well and always knows what do next .. above average wrist shot, but make no mistake, he's more of a playmaker than a sniper .. seems to elevate his game when the going gets tough, was one of the few Canadians not to freeze up in the semi-final against Finland .. does not shy away from traffic and has enough strength to cover the puck very along the boards and wins a good share of the battles.

Maxwell was highly thought of last season, but I think he took a hit this season with some soft performances. Still; one of the most talented players in the draft, and he's certainly not playing in a soft league - he works on his grit and we might have a sleeper.

Fischer and Carle have offensive potential - White is one of those kids that is cut out for the NHL - he won't be a top-line player, but he brings all of the intangibles to be a successful role player in the NHL, including decent speed.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote