View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
blinkman360
Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
One problem with that line of thinking PW - why would Perry want to come here? To play with Tavares? To receive passes from a defense that is laughable? I agree adding one who is respected around the league would help attract others, but getting that 1 first is really hard. To get the chicken, you need the egg, but to get the egg, you need the chicken. We have neither, and apparently all of Tavares' BFFs are 21 or under.

How does one make that work?
In reality the Isles don't need to go after a guy like Perry. As long as they are OK with increased spending, they could trade for the guy they want if it comes down to it. God knows they have enough picks/prospects to find a deal.

I think money generally talks when it comes to free agents, but if for some reason it doesn't, I'm sure the Isles could find another way to improve the team. One example:

Patrick Sharp. Chicago is up against the cap. Hossa and Keith have untradeable contracts. Toews, Kane and Seabrook are home-grown building blocks that won't be going anywhere. Sharp seems like the odd man out, and would be a perfect fit for the Isles. The Islanders not only can offer better assets than most teams, but they are one of the few teams that can take on a contract like that without having to send any salary back.

Again, IF the Isles are actually on board with adding payroll, I'm sure there will be plenty of options out there aside from the UFA market.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote