Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI
View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I'm talking about someone we could pick up this season, not in Free Agency.

There is no way the Devils get rid of Volchenkov for any of our players. Especially since Zidlicky is apparently struggling.

You wouldn't have to give up the world for a notable defenseman. If you want a Superstar you won't get one. Leopold is alot better than a Poti. Look up stats and highlights.
Devils have an absolute ton of NHL ready or NHL capable defensemen and Volchenkov's style isn't a particularly good fit. Lou may jump at the opportunity to move a guy making 4.25 million with an NTC who's playing a bottom pairing role. Especially since they're struggling financially. I know people will say Oates uses the same style, blah blah blah, but I think if we put him in a physical, defense-first role with Green or Orlov (especially Orlov) and tell him to forget offense he'd shine here.

Leopold could be a decent stopgap for a 3rd or so, but that's all he is. Biggest single gain is getting Schultz off the roster. 2nd biggest will be getting Orlov back.

Ultimately, Leopold is more or less pre-injury Tom Poti with a better slapshot and worse defense.