View Single Post
01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
Anyone know the ratings from Flyers-Devils last night? I presume Philly ratings were solid period, and NYC Market ratings were good in the context that only about a quarter of the market is the target market of the team in question (i.e. compared to past Devils ratings).
From Puck the Media:

Finally, the Devils-Flyers game on Tuesday drew an 0.77 rating in the New York market. It may not seem like great shakes, but it is a record for a Devils telecast (against a team that wasn't the Rangers or Islanders) in the New York market.

The 0.77 rating represents approximately 57,000 homes in the New York media market. As you pointed out, the Devils only target a small portion of the largest market in the country, thus the rating number generally looks low. However, New Jersey's homes viewing figure is much more comparable to other mid-market teams.

By way of comparison, Buffalo's 20.1 rating represents approximately 130,000 homes. Their rating is 26 times higher than the Devils but the homes viewing is a little more than double. Not taking away from Buffalo - their ratings are a great feat that hopefully the Devils in time can accomplish.

A link to the media market sizes from Nielsen's website is below: