View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Probably is, we have too much Depth on D and not enough Quality. We spend 18.6M on our top 4 Defense...
Look at teams like Nashville(12.5), New York Rangers(11.3), STL(10.25)
We could easily just have a Stud Defenseman and some decent ones and save that 3-5M on offense, I mean we already have a great goalie Schneider. Or we could have a lot of depth like NYR and STL. If you look at those teams, they all have great teams.
I absolutely agree that the teams you listed have great defenders for their cap hits, but my problem is that our team isn't built like that. Our top 4 guys gorge themselves on minutes and our 3rd line might see 12 minutes a night if not for Ballard. That and we'd have to sell the farm for a super star defender like St. Louis or Nashville, or build from the draft and develop like mad like New York. New York, given a few years, will likely be in the same position we are in, the difference being is that have most of their top 4 (all?) through drafting and 2 of our came via free agency, and we didn't get those cheap years from them.

If we were to change the direction a bit, having Corrado and Tanev paired with vets like Edler and Garrison would give us depth, and also help them reach their ceiling faster as well.

These two points, and we simply don't have that anchor to tie our defense around. We don't have the quality on D, so we have to make due with some very good quantity (no true and established super star, but 4 first pairing D of various skills).