View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 05:27 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton Fettel View Post
Has nothing to do with with defenses figuring him out. He's just not as fast and powerful as before. Now his game relies much more on his linemates, who simply suck big time. Even Backstrom.
Disagree.

I don't see a huge difference in his overall speed or ability to shoot, or the qualtiy of his teammates. What I do see is him getting pushed outside and always shooting from poor lanes. That is a defensive strategy to keep him outside. He will always go to his forehand, we know that. He is going to drag the puck and use the d-man as a screen, we know that. If we know that, NHL coaches know it and a heck of a lot more.

He has no time to shoot anymore. Maybe he has slowed down a bit, but I think he was kind of a one-trick pony whose trick got exposed, and he has not adapted.

Before every Ovy fan goes nuts with that last statement, I will say this: I completely believe that he has it in him to adapt his game. I don't know if he will, but he is still an elite talent that could probably make some slight alterations to his game and if not score as many goals, still be a very effective player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewNick View Post
Tbh those who didn't see this coming looked pretty dumb already back then.
Agree.

I called this back when I first joined HB. Look it up. I felt like it was a matter of time before defenses would figure out how to defend agasint him. They do that for all the great players, so it was not really a difficult prediction. How the player responds is the question. So far, not well in Ovy's case.