Thread: Wchl
View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Shootmaster_44

vCash: 500
I am curious how you picked the teams. I don't follow the AJHL all that closely, but the most successful team in the league you excluded, Fort Mac. However, you have my hometown Bobcats which nearly moved at the end of 2011.

I also am not sure what this league offers beyond bigger travel budgets. I don't see a title game against the USHL being a big selling point in attracting players. The reason at least some of these teams are in the CJHL is because their ownership cannot afford to be traveling to WHL cities. Also, why would Hockey Canada pull out of their own nationally sanctioned RBC Cup and place their U18 team in a league that would play against the USHL Champion?

It would be interesting to see a little more interlocking schedules between leagues. Considering that Lloydminster and the Battlefords are only an hour apart, I could see some of the teams in the Eastern AJHL and the Western SJHL playing each other. Also, the Western AJHL and Eastern BCHL could play each other.

A better idea I would think is to make some of the teams of the CJHL farm teams with WHL teams. I know the OHL and the OJHL do this. It would add to some of the interest in the CJHL if say the Lloydminster Bobcats and Saskatoon Blades were affiliated. The teams would then share a talent pool and players who were needing some seasoning might play for the Bobcats before starring in the WHL.

So for the sake of argument here is how this would go, at least based on geographic area:

Brandon Wheat Kings -> Portage Terriers
Calgary Hitmen -> Calgary Canucks
Edmonton Oil Kings ->Sherwood Park Crusaders
Everett Silvertips -> Cowichan Valley Capitals
Kamloops Blazers -> Vernon Vipers
Kelowna Rockets -> West Kelowna Warriors
Kootenay Ice -> Trail Smoke Eaters
Lethbridge Hurricanes -> Okotoks Oilers
Medicine Hat Tigers -> Brooks Bandits
Moose Jaw Warriors -> Weyburn Red Wings
Prince Albert Raiders -> Melfort Mustangs
Prince George Cougars -> Prince George Spruce Kings