View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
And there's the rub, eh? No one wants to give up any prospects, but then no one wants to play them or deal with their growing pains. And how much value do they have in terms of a trade it they only see limited ice time if they're lucky enough to see any at all?
Guys like Tangradi had decent trade value three years ago. The five blue chip defensive prospects all have varying degrees of high trade value. You've got a first and a second coming up in arguably the deepest draft in years.

I know, you want them because some of them COULD make a significant impact in a few years.

By the same token, when the reluctance starts to look like a miser hording money, you wonder if sight has been lost of the fact that what you wonder about any of these prospects if whether any of them that COULD make a significant impact also COULD make that impact before Geno turns 30.

I'm not saying it's easy. But, for me, you've spent three years hording. IMO, in the big 5, Bennett, and the 1st this year, you've got 7 major trade chips (all worth more than ANY piece paid for Hossa). In Dumoulin, the 2nd in this draft, and maybe 2-3 more pieces, you've got 5 trade chips that have more value than anything moved for Hossa or Gill outside the 1st and Esposito paid for Hossa.

How many of those chips are going to pan out in the end? How many are going to make a significant impact at all? How many before Sid or Geno turn 30?

For me, this team is Sid and Geno. You don't trade them all. You don't trade them for more immediately impactful pieces that don't make sense. But, at some point, you've got to give to get, where getting means putting Sid and Geno in a more immediately better position to win another cup.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote