View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Leafs don't have a Norris winner like Karlsson, but Rielly (sp?) could be really, really good and Gardiner is quite solid, so nice depth to the Leafs there.

IF Spezza re-signs (He should, but if Alfie keeps playing how long does he want to wait to become our captain...would suck if he walks!) then we have a fairly good though diminishing #1 centre, as he'll be 30 soon and might be 33-35 by the time the team hits the 100-110 point plateau with consistency.

Silfverberg looks ok so far. I'm not seeing he Hall of Fame level/Alfredsson level play yet but that may come in time. Zibanejad seems pretty concussion/injury-prone so we'll see. Leafs have some nice forwards too; Kadri has great hands, Leivo, Frattin, D'Amigo, Colborne could all surprise.

One thing that could work in the Leafs favour is that their core group is quite young compared to ours. Alfie is gonna retire in a year or two, so will Phillips, Gonchar is going to leave, Michalek is not "young" but not "old" either. Our team really looks to be in a transition phase. I'm kinda jittery about what happens when those vets clear out.

I gave the edge to the Leafs later since if we continue our upward trend we'll get less "good" prospects while the Leafs "D" with Rielly, Gardiner, Phaneuf, Kostka (sp?) looks pretty good. We have Karlsson and Cowen (severly injured atm) then a lot of decent pluggers...Wiercioch a first pairing "D"? Not yet. We'll see I guess. We have a deep pool of prospects that we can turn into "warm bodies", which isn't bad at all.

At the moment our NHL-ready group beats theirs and prospects are prospects, we'll see.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote