Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not bigger than those two.
I said you don't have to be of the Karlsson or Doughty mold just to get a long deal after your ELC. There's a ton of players that got big deals coming off their ELC. There's no necessity to give out bridge contracts when you know you have a good young Dman. What's the point?? You want him to reach close to his max potential before signing him to a deal that will cost you twice as much as it would had you negotiated a longer deal right after the ELC?..
What's the risk really?
How good is he though? I'm not blinded by the super-moves and wild windups, I mean I love it, but how good is he? How good will he be? It's hard to predict just how much his game will round out. I'll say that he's nowhere near where many of our posters feel he is. He's got incredible skill, but is still raw.

Quote:
And again, from PK's own mouth, he isn't asking for anything unreasonable. A few days ago, rumor came out he was asking for 6y 24M. That is far from being unreasonable.
What do you expect PK to say in his PR campaign?

Quote:
Absolutely not, as of last year, his sophomore year. Neither did any of the Elite Dmen in today's league after their sophomore year. In no way does this mean we should absolutely go with a bridge contract.
If this kid had shown Elite talent, as in, top 10 in the NHL, he'd be asking around 7+M for 8years. He isn't.
The guys brought up in this thread were voted for or awarded the Norris trophy, while still on their ELCs, for a reason. They all have elite hockey sense. You can forget about PK ever being elite in that sense, although if he was, he'd be a modern version of Bobby Orr. I think the best we can hope for, will be for him to learn from "trial and error". As in, making mistakes over and over until he irons them out as flat as he can through dedication and hard work. In that case PK will still be one of the best dmen in the league, but he has a long way to go.