View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 10:32 PM
EnglishDevil

vCash: 500
Most of the reasoning behind my Bouwmeester for Volchenkov deal was that despite Bouwmeester having the much worse contract at current, he only has one more season left after this year compared to Volchenkovs three. As previous posters have pointed out, the devils currently have a bit of a logjam on defence, but i don't really expect that to be too much of a problem.

Salvador (36), Zidlicky (35) and Tallinder (34) are all in the latter part of their careers and Zidlicky is a UFA at season end with Tallinder having one more year left; it would give us the flexibility in the 2013-2014 off-season to reassess our defence and either resign Tallinder and Bouwmeester (on a much cheaper deal) or go with some of our promising youngsters (Merrill, Gelinas, Burlon, Urbom etc).

Just a thought anyway, not that i desperately want rid of Volchenkov or anything, but i definitely feel as though Bouwmeester could contribute here in NJ, especially with our philosophy to play three defensive pairs with relatively equal minutes and not require him to be the #1 guy on defence. Also with Zidlicky being 35 and a UFA, it wouldn't hurt to have another defenceman who can play the point on the PP, as he's pretty much our only option at current.

Additionally we can always ship out surplus defenders in addition to this trade, obviously we need to make space for Larsson, but one of Zidlicky, Greene, Fayne or Tallinder will probably find their way out of the door for forward help sooner rather than later anyway.

Tallinder - Larsson
Greene - Fayne
Salvador - Bouwmeester
Harrold

Would be fine with me.

EnglishDevil is offline   Reply With Quote