View Single Post
Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yup. Gorges got extended the first day it was possible to do so, clearly there was some understanding over the summer that it would be done quickly if Gorges came back healthy and performing.

To the credit of Gainey and Gauthier, we never even came close to a holdout under their watch.

Still think part of the problem here is Subban has played 181 NHL games (playoffs included) and is told he has to 'prove himself' for 2 years, while Pacioretty had played 202 games entering this season and got a 6 year extension for 1 big season with still 1 year left on his bridge deal. Considering they were both in the same draft class, the comparison is easy to make.

If there had been no Pacioretty extension this summer, it would have likely been easier to sign Subban because there was no direct comparison to be made within the team. Not that I'm ripping the Pacioretty deal, it was fantastic.
Bingo. There was no need to give Max that deal, but Bergy did it even before negotiating Subban's deal. If I'm PK, I'm pissed.