View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Lorb

vCash: 500
I would personally do an intervention in a somewhat psychoanalytic/cognitive behavior therapy manner. If said magic isn't available, I do not recommend that you try and make her make sense of it. It's futile and highly counter productive. When something's wrong and irrationally so, trying to logically and rationally convince them that they're being irrational about it is like trying to unbake a cake by shoving it in the freezer.

Without extensive therapy training and clinical psychological insight, the best plan of approach is to slowly HELP HER eat more and make her feel comfortable about you, the process and the eventual goal. The key word is slowly. Do so in a day to day manner. In other words, don't mention the whole unhealthy, psychologically damaging, irrational, eating disorder, therapist part. That'll create a wall beyond anything you've seen.

If not accessible, then I would recommend AGAINST calling her therapist. As a trained professional (Dr.Crestno of the Crestno Clinic with a Ph.D from the Crestnopia University for the stars and the sacred), the process of treating an eating disorder is all about trust between the therapist and the client. Having helped someone with the same issue among other serious issues, it is key that the process is seen as a positive to the client. Not only does the therapist spend hours establishing trust between patient and client, the client also has to ultimately want to be there. If her parents are not involved enough to help, her continued therapy will be unlikely.

Best thing to do is monitor, establish trust (which you've done) and then help her establish a better dietary lifestyle. Through experience and proper adjustment is the most effective way of untangling the irrationality behind the eating disorder and helping her move on to resolving deeper seeded issues that lead to the eating disorders in the first place.

Lastly, do not break the trust between you and her. Irrationality, fear, self doubt, self-concept, self-image, self-esteem issues are at the balance for her and in a vulnerable state, her reactions will most likely result in the devastation of the trust between the two of you. Even if she understands the care you put into this, the sense of betrayal is simply something that's beyond her control. Also, the therapist can do nothing more than call and ask her how she's doing even if you notify the therapist.

I say to all my clients (people that need help/intervention), they don't have to say anything, do anything or even be here if they don't want to. If they change their mind, they can finish their tea or coffee and head on home. She has to want to be there and the way you do that is either through gathering enough resources and authority over her to force her through the process (which is in itself unhealthy) or you can build progress, help her find a bit more balance and slowly lead her to the light. That is also the more permanent solution.

Finally, if it becomes serious and physically threatening either to her immediate health or to her overall organ health (over months let's say), then you would bring the issue to the parents if they are at least somewhat reliable. If that does not resolve the issue or if they're not reliable, then contact a therapist and ask for advice (rather than straight up asking for her to get therapy somehow).

Note also: Doc Patient confidentiality will probably leave you out of the picture in the therapy process.