Old
06-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
To begin with, here's my quote from Timmins:

"Il s'agit d'un bon groupe, dit Timmins. Les 10 premiers joueurs pourraient un jour faire partie de l'élite de la LNH. Pour les autres, on parle de bonnet blanc, blanc bonnet. Il n'y a pas beaucoup de différence. C'est plus ou moins la parité. Ils possèdent tous des habiletés."

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/206912.html

In your post you singled out a group of people for saying that scouts always pick the BPA regardless of his position.

You then proceeded to tell them their opinion was wrong this year, and based it on Timmins' stating that they were planning to draft based on needs.

You then proceeded to try and paint the group you had singled out into a corner with "I guess some of you guys, based on that, do not really agree with Timmins".

You basically made your entire argument based on a statement by Timmins and co without taking into account the fact that they believed (see my quote) that many of the guys available where the BPA, and that there was no real talent drop off until later in the draft. Based on this information, the people (I'm assuming you didn't create a strawman) you singled out's original assersion is absolutely correct because Timmins and co believed they were drafting the BPA every time.
Sorry, english is obviously not my first language so I have some trouble understanding your point but we seem to have a different view on things 'cause I see Timmins's quote like this: After the consensus top 10 or top 15, all the others have abilities that makes them BPA for differents kinds or reasons''. So in order to choose, they had to go with needs instead. And I can't believe we end up choosing 4 d-men and 2 centers and still used the BPA theory.

You know what we could even say in 2003 that based on the BPA theory, Timmins did go with Kosty 'cause he definately was the best player available minus his health condition. So it is true that sometimes scouts will go for BPA, I'm not saying they will never go that route. But I believe this year they went for needs. But I could even give you that Maxwell and White must have been chosen with the BPA. 'Cause in my mind, but what do I know right, they were the best players available. But, for example in Carle's pick, they went for two needs: a d-men and a french guy......

Anyway, I understand and respect your opinion. Just wish you'll do the same.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote