View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Better game. But it was still quite unimpressive. The tone on here would be a lot different if we had lost in OT.

Aside from a great start (and man it was fantastic) they really tailed off. I'm really uncomfortable with how little it takes the Rangers to get off their game. I feel they often lose to themselves.

Bad bounces, an inability to clear the puck, missing glorious scoring opportunities and just plain stupidity plague this team. The biased (IMO) officiating didn't help tonight.

The players individually looked much better though (aside from Hank). Nash is another level of deadly. Gaborik with that poisonous touch, Richards made a ton of creative plays. I liked Stepan's game much more then usual. Hagelin easily had his best game, and Boyle was a rock in the defensive zone.

On defense I thought everyone was good individually, they just have some kinks to work out as a unit. MDZ has been a rock all season, and Staal made some great plays. Nothing needs to be said about McD and Girardi, they played their game to an extent. I barely noticed Spazzy Steve, which is a good thing, so color me impressed.

I'll take the 2 points. But something has got to give eventually.
Yeah, at the same time, we have given up goals on a regular basis and that effects the chance for any team to stay composed and get on top of a game.

The game in general and especially early this season is sooo much about not giving something up, take the lead when you get it and just let the other team expose themselves and on the odd occasion fall behind but not let things away and go for 1 point and a shot in OT.

I mean the prototypical win in the NHL goes like this basically:
1. A team gets the lead.
2. The other team starts to force things. Often the lead becomes a 2 goal lead.
3a. The team with the lead has a down period. They are pressured. The lead is maybe cut in half.
4a. In the third, the team down by a goal or two starts becoming desperate and gets away from their game plan. The team with the lead can take advantage of that and gets back on top and controlls the game till its over.
or
3b. The team behind ties the game.
4b. The last half of the 3rd period is played of and the game goes to OT/SO and one team gets the bonus point.

Very little is given up. The first goal or two comes sooner or later. Then maybe the game is tied up, or the team with the lead stays on top so long that the other team loose focus. And its over.

We have not so far been able to stay so composed that the team we play against is forced to scamble to tie it up and deviate from their game plan. We have played 183 minutes or whatever against teams that has been composed. Sure, only 25 minutes of those minutes has truely been somewhat impressive. But in the game today, you don't need to be impressive you just need to not shoot yourself in the foot. If you do that odds are that you will get over a point per game on avg. The rest is just a bonus.

If we after a couple of weeks play like sheit without giving up 2-3 goals the first 30 minutes of a game, if we still can't be composed, then Id be truely worried.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote