View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 07:27 AM
Reesor01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Looking at 13-14:

The Titan will have Brennan as a 19 YO plus MacDonald as a 17 YO.

On Defense:
Girard(20)
Godin?(20)
Houle?(20)
Gosselin(18)
Gingras(18)
Dumontier(19)
Labbe(18)
Cote(18)
MacLean(18)

On forward:
Brouillard(20)
Lalancette(19)
Lafontaine(19)
Stevens(19)
Walsh(19)
Pelletier(19)
Meredith(19)
Zdrahal(18)
Zboril(18)
Gallant(17)
Blanchard(17)
Bernard(18)

If you look at this group as a whole, there are not enough core 18 YOs next season to hope to contend in 14-15.
Plus we have question marks about the value of our 17 YOs next season:
- how will MacDonald react to be a backup for a 2nd year? could he be a trade bait to build a contender?
- how will Gosselin/Gingras and the plethora of other 18 YOs develop on D?
- how will Gallant/Blanchard/Bernard develop at this level?

I would put better chances next season than the following one.
Between Brouillard, Lalancette, Lafontaine, Zboril and Zdrahal, you should have a decent top 2 lines. They're also set in nets. But I think Bathurst would need to take advantage of their draft picks this year to plug some holes for next year. IMO they'd need one, maybe 2 defencemen. Not a lot of offense coming from the backend from that group, at least not for a contender. They'd also need some depth in that Bottom six, and could still stand to plug a scorer into the top 6.

I think I'd be very busy at the draft if I were LGM. Bathurst has many picks at their disposal. An impact 20yo forward should be easy to find at the draft, and relatively cheap. It does mean that you'd have to give up one of Girard or Godin. But with the price of defenceman lately, you could trade one of them for an ok return if someone could use a 20yo dman. Quality defence will not be cheap, but it'll be even more expensive at Christmas, so I'd probably try to pick up a D as well. I think it'd be worth giving up say, Godin, for a high-scoring 20yo forward, given the market.

Bathurst would have to do a lot to contend next year, but I think you may be right they have a better shot next year than the year after. I don't like that Bathurst bought and sold this year though. I think they'd be in a much better position if they sold the farm this year. But I understand why they didn't given the stability of the team.

Remember that all of those thoughts don't take into account natural progression of your younger players, simply because that is impossible to predict accurately in advance.

Reesor01 is offline   Reply With Quote