View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Some of the crap on here is beyond ridiculous.

This is pro sports, not your neighborhood business.

In pro sports guys get paid as much for potential as performance.

You're not honestly going to tell me that Doughty DESERVED his 8 year 56 mil contract coming off a 40 point season and 1st round exit are you?

...or That Hall DESERVED 7 years and 42 mil coming off 42 and 53 point seasons?

...or that Zajac DESERVED 8 years and 46 mil coming off 6 point(in 15 games) and 44 point(in 82 games) seasons?

Either those GM's are completely off their rocker or those guys are paid on potential. It's not hard to see why teams do that. They'd rather have guys signed long term at a reasonable cap number than lose them to UFA in their prime(Suter Parise Richards etc) or have to pay them huge contracts(see Lecavalier Nash Vanek Weber) to keep them.

Comparing PK to Del Zotto makes no sense at all. PK is a lot closer to where Doughty was in 2011 than where Del Zotto is.

Del Zotto struggled in 10-11 and put up 11 points in 47 games and was demoted to the AHL most of the year. In 11-12 he had a breathrough year offensively(41 points in 77 games and +20) but he played much more sheltered minutes than Girardi Staal and McDonough.

With Markov out(even when he came back he wasn't getting tough matchups) and Hamrlik gone/Gill traded, Subban played most of the year with Gorges and got PP PK and tough matchups against top lines(24:18/game 36 points in 81 games and +9).

Don't get me wrong, I hope they don't have to give him a Doughty contract and I'd love 6 years 24 mil or even 6 years up to 30 mil to buy up UFA years, I think MB is nuts if he thinks 2 years 5.5 mil is a reasonable offer given what young players are signing. They could sign him to a "bridge" contract 2 years and 9-9.5 mil but then they'll end up paying a 6-7 mil cap hit for sure.

Subban has been nothing short of a great ambassador fort the team and one of the better performers the last 2 years despite at times getting little help, the way some fans throw him under the bus for trying to get himself a good contract is as cowardly as can be.