View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Isles Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Jesus Christ man, you are getting pretty worked up over a meaningless comparison.

First of all, I never said anything about how signing Pedro lead to other signings. Even if I did, who gives a ****? You get the idea of the comparison. A big veteran signing could go a long way to making this team relevant. Pedro gave the Mets an identity. I don't think it's crazy to think a UFA signing could do the same for the Isles.

As far as Wang and the arena deal goes, it's not about the building. I never bought into that either. It's about the uncertainty of the Islanders' future. A free agent that comes here doesn't know if he's going to be living in NY or in Kansas City or somewhere else. Why would any sought-after player decide to go to a bottom-feeding team that might relocate a couple of years after they sign? That is what I think will make things different next offseason and the offseason's after.

To say flat out that no UFAs will come here just makes you come off as one of those pessimistic fans that people end up ignoring. "OH great... this guy again". We get it. You hate the Isles but you like to post about it on their message board. The fact that you are getting worked up over a Pedro Martinez comp. just makes it worse.
Getting worked up? No not at all.

You posted a comment, I responded to it. Thats what these boards are all about. You commented Pedro brought other big names to the Mets,backed up by no factual information, and I countered your claim, backed up with factual information. That's being a pessamistic fan? That's hating the Isles?

What I fail to understand, whether it be you or anyone else here, is how people have such a difficult time with the concept of winning breeds winning. UFA's do not go to teams that do not show any dedication to winning. That being said are there a few who go for the money grab, a la Beltran, no doubt, but professional athletes want to win and go to teams where they feel they have the best chance to do so. New buildings, unsettled franchise futures play a very minor part in that scenario. Again I bring up the Yankess. Players go to the yankess because of two reasons, one is they wil probably get more money there and two is because the Yankees will contend every year. Ownership has shown that they are commited to winning. It is really just that simple.

As someone who has rooted for this team since their inception, lived through their growing pains, the glory years, the Spano mess, the Milstein mess and now the Wang debacle. I bleed orange and blue. At the same time I am a realist and do not drink the Wang Kool Aid. I have been around long enough to know a leapord doesn't change his spots. FWIW I also find it comical how many people believe that a change of address will make this team an instant contender. Could I be wrong? Absolutly and I pray that I am and if so will be the first to admit to it, but it ain't gonna happen.

Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote