View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 08:49 AM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I know that we all react to shots off the posts as having beaten the goalie, but his job is not to defend the posts, it's the space in between for which he's responsible! Hitting the post may be close to a goal (and that sound usually brings us out of our seats!),but it's no more meaningful than putting it ten feet up into the net. The goalie either gives up a goal or he doesn't, close doesn't matter. Being saved by the posts is no different than being saved by a forward blocking a shot, out front. Neither counts as a shot on goal.
I have to agree there are various degrees to getting beat. At that level its a game of inches and a lot of saves are made at the last moment. These guys know their angles and they are covering the net not the posts. I understand most goalies wouldn't willingly let a puck go off the post but I see a lot of post shots that just miss the goalie by an inch. That means had it been on net it would have been a save.

My only concern is the possibility of Bobrovski getting frustrated. I think it takes a special player to succeed on a team like columbus because you have to put up with a lot of games that are not fun to play in. I think Bobrovsky is very talented but what we are going to find out this season is whether or not he is mentally tough. If he is Columbus may have finally found their franchise goalie.

FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote