Old
01-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Again, I have no idea what Subban or the Habs are offering, but if the Habs would easily match a $6.5M/yr deal, why isn't he signed yet?
Because (supposedly, apparently, maybe, according to untraceable "word on the street") Bergevin is sticking to his guns on only offering bridge deals, as a purely philosophical principle. Maybe it's just that our whole front office is like recently-retired players, and they're all used to being told they don't get paid fair market value until UFA years, I don't know. But I'd think losing the asset for "nothing" (well, a grab bag of lesser draft picks) and making it a situation where it wasn't their own choice would change the dynamic. But hey, maybe not.

Let's put it this way. I'd match. But then, I'm already offering Subban a $50M/8yr deal, which is a $6.25M cap hit, basically no difference there to your offer sheet.

Anyway, I also doubt owners suddenly start attacking eachother with big crazy offer sheets so soon after the lockout? Well, you'd like to think that wouldn't be likely to happen anyway. But history is probably not kind to GMs (as a whole) being able to restrain themselves. So who knows.