View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM
the edler
Valeri Bure fan

vCash: 500
I think Alexander Mogilny has a much better HOF case than Bondra, or at least he should have, and Mogilny's case is a pretty weak one although he scored 1000+ points in less than 1000 games, led the league in goals one year, was a top 10 scorer twice, won a cup, and is a triple gold club member, Mogilny's two best season in 92–93 and 95–96 are easily better than any season by Bondra

Bondra played 1081 games and didn't even hit 900 points, that's weak for someone who's all about offense to be in the HOF, and Bondra played many seasons in the early 90s when the game was super open and all about offense, so the DPE is not really an argument here

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
For the good amount of time like 1995 - 2002 he was the best goalscorer in the NHL not named Jaromir. Yes, better than Bure or Selanne in terms of goals totals. I don't doubt lack of points, Bondra was a sniper. But man, what a sniper! I read a lot on HFboards calling him poor man's Bure. No. In terms of goalscoring he was on par with him and Selanne. And also at the time he was the fastest skater out there, even better than Bure. During mentioned period Bure won Richard Trophy three times, Bondra twice but scored way more goals...
I don't know why he is bashed here so much. It reminds me Hossa - Elias - Alfredsson case where Elias and Alfredsson will be inducted in HOF by HFboars standards and Hossa not. Bure and Selanne are praised here but during their primes (!) Bondra was better scorer. Bure barely hit 90 points during prime why he is not bashed and Bondra is with his 80. Give Selanne Kristich, Pivonka or Nikolishin (Bondra's centers) instead of Kariya and he wouldn't crack 100 too.
Bure and Selänne were top 5 in points three times each, Bondra was top 10 in points zero times, that's everything you need to know about that

Selänne and Bure were "slightly" better goal scorers than Bondra but much better hockey players, Selänne and Bure could actually make plays for teammates, create offense from nowhere, and carry a teams offense alone, and both played with an edge, you would never see Bondra crash the goalie or try to "Shane Churla" anyone

also Michal Pivonka was a good player, not great of course but good enough, both Bure and Selänne would have said thank you very much playing with Pivonka, you know Bure scored 60 goals in a season playing on a line with the great center Murray Craven? and won back to back Maurice Richard's with Viktor Kozlov as his set up man?

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote