View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
You see this here is misleading Replacement. How many days of the year are the Oilers actually going to be using the new arena, and how many days out of the year will it be used for concerts and other events? I can guarantee you that the Oilers will be using it far less than it will be used for other events. It's an arena first, and a hockey arena second - yes the Oilers are the primary (permanent) tenants, but to so disingenuously disregard what the arena will be used for 75% of the time (just a figure off the top of the head mind you - "IMO" you might say), is well...misleading.
Whos the anchor tenant? Lets see, Oilers. With expected playoffs could be something like 60dates/year. You're trying to state this is only 25% of the pie?

Now consider that Rexall will still be operating and likely the lower overhead, lower ticket price, similar attendance type facility. Presumably a healthy amount of acts are still going to be going to Rexall, one of the more successful arenas in the world and operated by Northlands who would have done business with the respective promoters for decades.

Meanwhile Katz has no such concert industry ties, the one he tied his wagon to went under, and who's he gonna call for concert connections. Northlands?

Lets just say the new arena does manage to land another 50 concerts/year. Ticket prices won't dip under 100bucks for Oiler games and I doubt they dip much for concerts.

IF... the Rush or Oil Kings play at the new barn that will be the only affordable entertainment happening there.

I've said along time, and people seem not to believe me, but with all surcharges and ticket tax prices at the new rink will be prohibitively expensive for most families.

I don't have a horse in this race as I won't going anyway. Most pop entertainment these days being just garbage. Doesn't much matter what event, most of it being a mindless exorbitant cash grab of no real value. Although that fleecing never seems to get old.

Last edited by Replacement: 01-24-2013 at 12:19 PM.