Thread: Advice: Beer League Strategy Thread
View Single Post
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Up front, I like lines that play at similar speeds. If you've got a burner and two slow guys, that burner is never going to be on the same page. He'll either be rushing up ice by himself, going offsides, or slow himself down (and completely neutralizing his speed).
This is very important. There's nothing worse than being a speedy guy on a line with two pluggers trying to lead the rush up ice completely alone. I appreciate that some people are fast and some people are slow, I don't carry ill will towards you, but it's incredibly difficult to generate any offense when you're leading a 1 on 4 rush with no one to pass to.

The one other piece of advice I would offer. Don't force people to play positions they don't want to play and don't make promises you can't keep. When I started playing I really wanted to play forward, ideally center but I knew that was a lot of responsibility, and I would be happy playing wing. I got placed on defense "temporarily" because "no one else wanted to do it" and I made the best of it. The next session with the same team I asked once again to play forward, they said they'd think about it during our few weeks between sessions. I ended up playing D the entire session.

This pattern has continued throughout most of my hockey career. Most of the time I don't mind playing defense, but it's not what I want to do. It's really frustrating being lied to [whether intentionally or unintentionally] about where I'm going to be playing on a team, or being placed on defense simply because "that's what I've always played." Even more frustrating is watching new guys who can't skate get placed as forwards with our best players while I'm stuck on the backend cleaning up their turnovers and praying they'll help me break the puck out of the zone.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote