View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
A package of Franzen, Nyquist, Pulkinnen, Kindl, Andersson, heck throw in Quincey and a draft pick would have beaten the living daylights out of Anisimov, Dubie, and Erixon. You get a perennial threat for 25-30 goals in Franzen, a legit NHL ready top 6er in Nyquist, the prospect Howson tried to swindle us out of for Pahlsson last year that apparently he's been coveting, a former 1st rounder Dman in Kindl, and a solid bottom 6 center in Andersson. It was totally doable. For whatever reason, if Howson has to trade anything to Detroit, it would have been for a king's ransom, even for a depth forward. Anisimov is young, yes, but let's not kid ourselves, he's a third line center at best who could play on the 2nd line and put up some points. Dubinsky is 27 and has only put up 20+ goals twice. Franzen and Nyquist is better quality than Dubinsky and Anisimov. From there, you could just beat the rest of the deal with quantity that has slightly lesser quality.
You're assuming that the Rangers wouldn't have upped their offer if Howson went to them and said he was leaning towards the offer from the Wings- I think the Rangers would have been willing to re-shuffle their offer and include more of their good prospects and young guys. And do we know for sure what Holland actually offered, other than the "helluva offer" rumored to include Franzen or Flip? Given his recent reluctance to make trades of any significance, I doubt he'd be willing to offer the package you tossed out.

And I'm not so sure that Franzen and Gus is a superior duo to Dubinsky and AA. Through no fault of his own, Gus hasn't had the chance to prove himself at the NHL level, and Franzen is signed for a LONG time- can't think that every team would want that term, knowing his production will decline. Dubi and AA are both versatile guys, good on both ends, Dubi is a great candidate to rebound with the Jackets and AA is only 24 yrs old. Granted, I liked both of those guys from their Rangers days and would have loved to see either wearing the Winged Wheel.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote