View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Kaibur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Retweeted by Sarah McLellan after tonight's game

Tippett said Smith warned him of tightness in pre-game skate, said went from being tight to not being able to play. I highly doubt it's anything too serious if Smith was smiling after the game. Even if he's day-to-day, I suspect Phoenix will just stick with LaBarbera and call up either Chad Johnson (Who'll probably turn into the next Mike Smith with Sean Burke's coaching!) or Mark Visentin to fill in as the back-up.
Obviously looks like a non-issue, and hopefully Smith's back in soon.

Even if something were to happen, the Coyote depth in goal is actually quite good and designed to fit the system. It's funny how many people have stated in this thread something to the effect that anyone could play goal for the Yotes. But if you look all the way down to the ECHL level, all of the goalies are big guys that Burke can work with. And all 6 of them have been playing pretty well.

I think for both defense and goal, if something were to happen to a key player, the Coyotes would probably just solve it internally. The forward depth is clearly the weakest and least reliable, but the system is designed to cover the weakness.

In a fantasy land where the Yotes felt they needed to snag someone to fill-in for the rest of the year, or whatever, I'd probably want Steve Mason. Big goalie, badly needs a change of scenery, would come pretty cheap, but could turn it around in the Phoenix system and regain some value. Even though Visentin's only 20, he's basically platooning with Johnson in the AHL, so he's got another season at minimum before he'll get a long look to make the big club. Reclamation projects are a Yotes specialty, so maybe turning around a guy like Mason's career could happen before the young goalies make the jump. After all, Maloney got two 3rd round picks for the negotiating rights to Bryzgalov. Maybe he could make hay on Mason2.0

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote