Thread: Proposal: Cgy/Ott
View Single Post
Old
01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
TSA0402

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Playing a couple games on the top line is not the same as playing on the top line every night. And no one is underestimating anything you are missing his point I think.

Let me word his point a little differently so maybe its a bit more clear to you what was meant.

Butler was used on the top defensive pairing last year and was clearly in over his head, he managed to tread water but people make comments saying he is a #7 defenseman because he didn't excel as a top pairing **** down defenseman. But the reality is somewhere in the middle, which is him being a 4/5 defenseman.

Now lets say Turris was thrown onto the the top line for a full season and he was clearly over his head but still managed to tread water, but someone called him a 4th line center, would you not point out that just because he didn't excel as a #1 it doesn't make him a #4 center? That all we are doing, there was nothing intended as disrespect towards Turris or his play.
Lets say Chris Butler is thrown on a defensive pairing WITHOUT Jay Bouwmeester regularly.... See, I dont like these arguments. If, and, or, but, Turris didn't do too badly in that role. This year, he is better, too. Basically, you are saying Kyle Turris is a #2 center for good because of Jason Spezza. He is being punished because he is playing second fiddle to an elite centerman in the NHL. While I agree he doesn't quite have the skill and proof to be a true #1 yet, it seems rather ridiculous when you are bringing this up on D-men with a comparable being Chris Butler. One of these guys is doing a ton more than the other.

I never said Butler was a #7 defenseman. But its even more stupid to bring up Kyle Turris in an argument of Butler's defense right now. Kyle Turris is a much better player in a more valuable position.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote