View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 01:29 AM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
What are the chances that the Oilers draft three HoFers between the '79 and '80 drafts plus Glenn Anderson and Kevin Lowe? Did they happen to have the best/luckiest drafting on all time or is there something else in effect?
Well, there's the 1989 Detroit draft you can compare it to...

Quote:
My theory is that playing with Gretzky didn't just improve the performance of players, but just all around made them better players. More on, that Messier would not be a HoFer if not for the experience of playing with Gretzky.

I know from my own standpoint that playing with players so much better than me has not just improved my performance while playing with them, but has taught me things that made me better on my own.

I think this extends into a lot of dynasties. They're quarterbacked by two or three amazing players that made the other good players into great players.

Now, I don't have any empirical data, but it certainly does help to make sense of how a team like the Oilers could get so good so quickly.
I think this is pretty much right on target. The idea that skilled players and veterans, etc. will have a positive effect on younger players is not just a hypothesis; it's something that teams build on and that NHLers will talk about. Examples? Chris Osgood has credited Mike Vernon with making him a better goalie. Nicklas Lidstrom has given credit to Brad McCrimmon (RIP) and Mark Howe. Sergei Fedorov and Slava Kozlov have credited Igor Larionov.

And these are only a handful of examples. Think of your favorte team, and veteran leaders over the past few years. What have they taught the young players on your team? How has it affected those young players, and the team?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote