View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 04:23 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I don't deny Bure was scorer on his own, but again - he scored comparable amount of points during his second prime in DPE like Bondra. There was no 100 point season with Kozlov or Niedermayer, barely 90. Unlike Selanne, he had no Kariya on his wing who scores 40+ with or without Selanne and was probably the TOP3 player on the world at the moment.
To who should Bondra pass his passes? To the great Keith Jones? Or magnificent scorers Adam Oates and Richard Zednik? Or very well known snipers Konowalchuk and Halpern? He was scorer on that team and Caps relied on him to score. He was not there to make play etc. Good amount of his goals came on power play or penalty kill - special situations: pass it to Bondra. Yeah, his longevity was not the same as Selanne's with arguably three prime stretches or Bure with two. He hit his prime which lasted for good 7 years during which he was comparable to them and not just comparable but maybe even the better (well, probably not better than Bure but not by much). EDIT: in goals scoring

So at the end of the days, Bondra will be probably the only player with two scoring titles who is not in HOF.
You are on track here with Bondra's scoring ability. He was indeed a very capable scorer.

His GPG sinishes are:

1st, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 8th, 9th which is pretty darn impressive.

For comparison's sake here is Selanne and Bure in GPG finishes.

Selanne: 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 8th
I would venture and say that is more impressive than Bondra's

Bure: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th
I would also place this resume a bit better than Bondra's.

Now, one must remember that Bure and Selanne are not great ONLY due to the goal-scoring but the fact that they were elite offensively not just scoring goals. Albeit that was their biggest weapon. Both also had more aspects to their game than Bondra.
Bondra is close in terms of pure goal scoring, just a tad behind Selanne and Bure. Factor in the difference in overall offensive ability and you see how remarkably better players those two were compared to Bondra.

I really can't see any case for Peter in the Hall of Fame. Too one dimensional, albeit he did the one thing pretty darn good. But as you said, Bondra will probably be the only player with two goal scoring titles and won't make it to the hall, he is also the worst player with two goal scoring titles.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote