View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 09:46 AM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
not allowed..

remember the # of donkeys on this board who thought his acquistion was brillant and then continued to argue that building the core of any professional sports franchsie through free agency was the best method to achieve success....
I never thought it was a brilliant trade(medium risk medium reward IMO) but I could defend it at the time and I still can. If it works out, it's not a bad trade. It's hard to crap on a trade before you see the player play. And last year was too small a sample while he also showed some improvement towards the end. Sadly, Quincey has not adapted to the Wings' style of play in a score+ of games and a full offseason which leads me to believe he might never work out here. But that's hindsight, every GM would love that luxury.

However, if it works/worked out, the Wings have a top4 defenseman who's 27 years old and can play at a high level for 7-8 more years. We drafted Brendan Smith, a first rounder almost 6(!!!) years ago and he's still not a established top4 defenseman in the league. Kindl, another 1st round D of ours is yet to be a regular in the league 7 years later. You shouldn't throw draft picks in the water, but they're not some kind of invaluable piece either. Plus the Wings have built up a farm and can afford to take some chances for a more immediate impact to the team.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote