Thread: Proposal: Detroit-Toronto
View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 AM
abhanot

vCash: 500
Detroit-Toronto

Firstly, living in Detroit, I think I know a little bit about the Wings needs. Being a Leafs fan from Toronto, I may be way off here :

1. Cody Franson for a 2013 2nd round pick

While I don't want to give up Franson from a Leafs POV, a 2nd round pick would be great in this draft, as its known as one of the deepest drafts in recent years. Statistically speaking, Franson is a little bit above an average defenceman. However, under Babcock's system and Detroit's style of play, Franson has potential to be a very good #2/#3 defenceman. He has a howitzer of a shot, good positioning, and can be a solid point man on the PP. His defensive game is a little weak because he doesn't use his huge 6 ft 5 in. frame as often as he should, but he is overall pretty good for at least 30+ points a year. Possibly more if playing with Detroit. From a Leafs POV, once again, the draft pick could be useful, as Franson is often squeezed out from a regular spot in the lineup (not sure why, I think he's top 4 material already).

2. Carl Gunnarsson for a 2013 1st round pick

Many people may have not ever heard of Gunnarsson, but he is easily the best defensive defenceman that the Leafs have. The perfect example of a stay at home Dman, and rarely makes mistakes in his own end. Plays a quiet offensive game, but can be good for 20+ points while playing a very sound defensive game.

3. John-Michael Liles for a 2013 2nd round pick

Many Detroit fans might be against this, but after watching the Wings PP's over the last few games, its clear they're missing that extra point presence. While Liles isn't the largest Dman (Gunnarsson is 6 ft. 2 in., and Franson is 6 ft. 5 in.), he has good positioning, and makes a good veteran presence in the lockeroom and on the ice. One of the Leafs most mobile defenceman, and he would be playing with Quincey again.

These trade scenarios would most likely occur at the trade deadline, especially if the Leafs are out of playoff contention and the Wings are still close/top 8 seed. Sure, the Wings have a lot of cap space to work with, so they might just go towards a defeceman who's a solid #1/#2 (Subban, Bouwmeester, etc.), but these scenarios are good trades for both teams.

Cheers,
Akshay Bhanot

EDIT: Grammar mistake and Liles for 1st changed to Liles for 2nd.

Last edited by abhanot: 01-25-2013 at 09:51 AM.
abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote