Thread: Benn vs. Subban
View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I'm in agreement with you that he's effective in his zone. But so are a number of sub 40 pts dmen in this league. I just don't see the over valuation most Habs fan seem to think he has.

Everybody agreed that Wideman got overpaid in Calgary. I see the same type of thing here. Granted PK is younger but I don't see his ceiling being much higher than that. Add the lockerroom issues that everyone seem to ignore, and I have to side with Bergevin on the rumoured contract offer.
Except the list of dmen who put up close to 40pts while playing the top opposition really isn't long. The over valuation is because there aren't many defensemen like him around. Myers, Pietrangelo, Doughty, OEL, McDonagh and a couple of others are in the same category. That is young top-pairing dmen who contribute offensively. I also don't see why you think his ceiling isn't much higher than Dennis Wideman. He's already much better in all aspects than Wideman was at the same age and unlike Wideman, he doesn't play sheltered minutes. He's also better in his own end than current Wideman is. He's already considered better than Wideman and defensemen seldom reach their prime at 24. He's a rare commodity Montreal won't soon find if they lose him. That's why he's valued like that. All comparable players are valued just as much and already locked up with other teams.

There are no locker room issues and nobody ignores them. People keep bringing up because he got in a scrum with a teammate when the team was going through a rough sequence. There's nobody available that can replace him in the near future and not many teams like to part ways with their top pairing dmen for nothing.

I have no idea what the amounts and terms discussed are so I can't say anything on that. If he's asking for Myler's money, it's fair because both are in the same tier.

Edit: We could probably make a list of defensemen who had around the same amount of success around the same age. My guess is that it'll be short and the players on that list will have turned into elite dmen or at least very very good ones.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote