Thread: Derek Stepan
View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Absolutely agree, in many ways DS is the key to this season. Unless we receive strong play from our 2nd line centers (and w/o Dubs or AA we really have no other options), we will struggle and fall short of our goals and hopes.

DS had always been an interesting player whose short career revolves around one simple question: can a center with very good vision and passing ability make it in the NHL as a top six forward with only average skating ability?

At times the answer has seemed yes. I'm beginning to think that in his case, the answer may be no.

While it is very difficult to make yourself faster, you can make yourself quicker. Brian Boyle was a marginal NHL player who made himself into a 3rd line center by working on his quickness. (I still think he is a best a 4th liner but even that was more than he was considered to be after his first year here).

But instead of becoming quicker, DS seems slower. I know nothing about him personally, his work ethic, or his commitment to off season conditioning. I don't know whether he has worked with others to become quicker. All I know is what I see on the ice, and what I see is not good and a matter of major concern.