View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I'll admit my bias upfront and state that I'd prefer that the Coyotes were relocated to QC, preferably tomorrow if at all possible. My suspicion however is that the NHL don't want to walk away from the COG subsidy if at all possible and will probably facilitate the financing of JEG's bid as a last resort - at arms length or otherwise, whatever it takes. If the league is eventually able to pull off having a civic government essentially underwriting a portion of club operations under the guise of "arena management", to such an overt extent, then that sets a great precedent from their perspective with regard to dealing with other civic governments going forward.

Ex the obvious risk of owning that club in that market, the COG subsidy represents free money regardless, period. Free money is appealing to many of us.
I cannot agree with this for one and only one reason. Why would you want to cash in $300M over 20 years when you can get the same amount of money in about 2 weeks if you tell Seattle, Quebec and Hamilton groups that Coyotes are moving after their 48th game of 2012-2013 season.