View Single Post
01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
You give him the 2 years so he learns the TEAM culture which by all accounts he really hasn't quite grasped at this point. Also if he falters we don't get stuck with another terrible contract for 5 or 6 or 7 years at 5MM a year. I don't think Markov has the ability to play at a level for too much longer he is no Lidstrom and as many here fear he is an injury liability he is one fluke fall/hit away from another knee operation. PK can take the 2 year deal and get on with things.
He isn't a team player? How so? The guy has no problem blocking shots for his team. He has no problem jumping into scrums for his teammates. He is the first to jump on his teammate whenever they score. But all that doesn't matter I guess.

If he falters, other teams will gladly take a risk on him. Players always get 2nd chances. It becomes more complicated to move a player if he screwed up on two different teams.
At 5M/y, he would need to falter BIG TIME for it to be considered to big of a cap hit to risk taking on. I don't think it's realistic to think that in 2-3years, he'll as become so bad that he isn't even good enough to be on a top 4. So, worse case, he'll just be a tad overpaid. Just like Hammer was at 5.5M, but was still very serviceable.
But I don't think PK will falter, I think he'll improve.

I don't think there's that much risk in PK improving. I think there was more risk in Price not turning out to be as solid as expected because goaltending is the toughest spot. But he's looking ready to reach that extra level this year (only 3 games, but man, his technique is solid).
So I think it's the same for PK. Like Price, he just needs to mature up.

As for Markov, we don't know what will happen. Certainly was injury prone over the past years. But doesn't mean he'll get injured again significantly or lose a step. Too early to tell, but I don't think we should already assume Markov will just come off the books and be gone.