Thread: Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Draft Thread
View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 11:57 AM
BK201

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
Well, first off, we don't really know the reason. It's not like the team publicly discloses why they dislike a guy. They just say why they liked THEIR guy. But definitely compete level was part of it I'm sure. That and to a lesser extent, skating, are really the only two things that Zibanejad does better than Couturier (for the most part). The Sens basically opted for a high energy project with some scoring upside over a more polished and complete offensive player that was closer to being a finished product. It's a risky move, but you have to believe in your scouts.

And I'm not sure why you think "A lot of people" had Zibanejad ahead of Couturier. It was an off the board pick, not matter how you cut it. Of the 8 or 9 scouting services and rankings out there, absolutely none had Zibanejad ahead of Couturier. Not really even close. In fact, only one that I know of (PuckProspectus) had Z-bad ahead of Hamilton. This doesn't mean some individual scouts saw it that way, of course. Obviously the Sens brass saw it differently.

But in the end, it was the kind of Brian Lee move that made me cringe, albeit from a scouting staff everyone respects (so there is some faith there too). Going off the board in the top 10 of the 1st round though rarely works out. Couturier and Hamilton were by far and away the highest ranked guys on the board - both were supposed to be gone by our pick (Hamilton was iffy I guess), much like when Kopitar and Staal happened to fall to us the year we took Lee. Zibanejad wasn't even ranked in the top 10 by THN, ESPN, Redline and several others, while Couturier was ranked top 5 a half dozen different rankings (Zibanejad none).

I'm not totally crapping on the pick, because the jury is still out. But I have thought a few times about what keeping Couturier, Rundblad and a 2nd rounder would have resulted in, versus Z-bad and Turris. Will make for an interesting look back a few years down the road.
I'm not to worried about public rankings like that.

People only focus on the players that are having trouble developing currently, Zibanejad is struggling from serious injuries from last year that lingered into the end of the season when he was braught to the AHL and most likely into this year but not confirmed.

I mean really Noesen was ranked closer to 55-60 but because he is getting better and better no one complains about him being an off the board pick that's an example of what I'm trying to say.

Plus if picks 6 and 7 went Hamilton and Couterier Zbad at 8 would never have been considered an off the board pick so I think you guys are stretching your opinions.

He was also ranked #2 European prospect by NHL central scouting ahead of Brodin and Armia. I mean I hear what your saying but people thinking its off the board it's seriously like 2 spots off.