View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 02:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
It's a new CBA. Retirement doesn't wipe the remainder of the contract off the books. I would be shocked if the Wings committed to a 7 year contract for Mule when they can buy it out and have it no longer count against the cap. With Z I can see them keeping him given he's the captain but I'd seriously think long and hard about buying out both contracts. If you don't you are on the hook for both of them for every single year regardless of whether the guy is still on your team.
I don't think either guy gets it although they might take a look and then easily pass on Franzen. They will not consider Z and shouldn't, he can be LTIR if that is what eventually happens, and would probably be happy to stay in the area and collect his paychecks. But in your scenario you're still talking about paying these guys combined what 50+ million dollars. I know Ilitch is rich and all but that is pretty ridiculous. Especially for two guys that still produce and have good cap hits relative to what they are.

Keep in mind these are not normal buyouts. They don't function over the course of years. They are lump sum huge payments depending on what the have left on the books. At least that is my understanding of it.

Guessing Nyquist is staying down through Monday, as he has not been replaced of the AHL all-star game. Would seem he is good to go there and the Wings won't be using him unless injury strikes again before that at least I think they would share that with the AHL.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote