View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Soderberg signed an entry-level deal with the Blues in June of 2006. He's still under contract (since he hasn't reported in 7 years now) and per the terms of the CBA at the time, that contract is set to expire on July 1, 2013.

Had he never signed that contract, this issue would be non-existent and nobody would give a flying ****.
I'm sort of amazed that this is true, but I guess if someone is willing to blow off a contract for 7 years, then it's hard to imagine them not being obligated anymore. With that being said, why on earth would his agent encourage him (at this point) to report to the Bruins? Makes no sense at all. Unless, I suppose, his season ends and Chiarelli offers him a spot in the lineup down the stretch and into the playoffs (a la Radulov). Would he still be a UFA in July if he took advantage of that?

Anyways, I'll never get the vitriol for this kid. If you ask me, his career path has sort of worked out for him. He's peaking at just the right time (about to be a UFA), there's a copious amount of intrigue and mystery surrounding him in terms of NHL viability, and he could potentially cash in large because of all the timing. I hope that he winds up in a Bruins uniform, but I'm also realistic in the sense that it's likely not going to happen.