View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The "trouble" with Dravecký, in my opinion, is that he's a natural "top 6" player, not well suited for the 3rd or 4th line. But that's where Čada put him in almost all games (if not making him a healthy scratch), and (not surprisingly) he wasn't producing. Overseas, Dravecký's chances were diminished by his rather small frame. (Hudáček is a similar type of player, just younger, even in terms of originating from Eastern Slovakia like Dravecký.)
Hudacek is helluva lot more talented than Dravecky, IMO. Better skater, more offensive creativity, just overall much more talented.

Dravecky was never a fit in NA, that's for sure.

Quote:
Nope. I believe Nedomanský had a falling-out with the Kings when the Dean Lombardi era began. Lombardi generally, I think, distrusts European players, with Kopitar, Handzuš and Voynov being exceptions.
Lombardi seems to have little problem with Russians since he has drafted Slava Voynov, Andrei Loktionov, Maxim Kitsyn and Nikolai Prokhorkin in the past 5 drafts. 3 of those were in Russia when drafted. Has also drafted CZE RW Tomas Hyka, FIN G Christopher Gibson, SWE LW Michael Schumacher, SWE RW Oscar Moller, SWE D Niclas Andersen and GER LW Christopher Braun although most of those were already playing in Canadian Juniors pre being drafted.

But this is off-topic here, sorry.

Quote:
I wouldn't agree with the Slovan part. It's a KHL cliché to say about Slovan and Čada, "They focus only on defence and nothing else, they're so boring." But that's not true, from what I've seen this season. Slovan can be pretty forceful on the attack, especially in situations like being a goal down at home in the final period. It's that Slovan's (Čada's) priority, but not exclusive focus, is secure defence.
Fair enough. I was just mentioning that Kings were perhaps more focused on the bigger and grinding aspects, with grinders like King, Nolan, Fraser, Clifford filling out the roster rather than guys like Dano, Mikus who are smaller more skilled guys. No doubt Slovan is not defence only. I just don't think it's possible to play a style quite like the Kings on the big ice, the Slovan system is more positional orientated rather than grinding. Slovan does have offensive talent though, and can be exciting pressing the play.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote