View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Faterson

vCash: 500
As to Lombardi and Europeans, he may be drafting them, but they rarely make it onto the first team permanently. Voynov is the big exception here, but look at what's happening to Oscar Muller or Loktionov... does not seem as if their NHL careers were flourishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I just don't think it's possible to play a style quite like the Kings on the big ice
Bingo! It's just not necessary. Although Slovan's rink is the narrowest in the KHL (28 meters compared to 26 meters in the NHL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I was just mentioning that Kings were perhaps more focused on the bigger and grinding aspects, with grinders like King, Nolan, Fraser, Clifford filling out the roster rather than guys like Dano, Mikus who are smaller more skilled guys.
True, but if there wasn't that special KHL rule mandating at least 2 junior players on the roster of each KHL team, Daňo and Mikúš probably wouldn't have been on Slovan's roster this season.

To belabour the parallel even further , just like King and Nolan were a positive shock, mid-season farm-team additions for the Kings last year, so have Preisinger and Kudrna been very pleasant surprises on Slovan's roster in recent weeks, after being recalled from Pálffy's Skalica. I wouldn't hesitate to call them "grinders". When I saw those two guys flying on the ice, I instantly thought of Nolan and King.

And finally, Ölvecký reminds me of Dustin Penner.

The biggest problem for Slovan is that now with Višňovský and Sekera gone, their defence is much weaker than it was for much of the regular season. Especially for this reason, I'd say play-off success for Slovan is unlikely. On the other hand, if Janus decides to stand on his head... (An interview with Janus appeared today where he says he was slightly disappointed not to have been nominated for the KHL All-Star game. Staňa and Koshechkin were certainly worthy, too, but Janus even more so, I'd say.)

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote