View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Lazar Beams
PEW PEW PEW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Playing defense is far more important than winning a draw and there is no proof Cervenka can win at a better rate than Tanguay in the nhl. If you honestly think that playing defense doesn't matter more than a faceoff you might want to check in on your brain.
My brain's fine thanks, the q-tip still feels resistance when I push it in too far.

I've seen Cervenka play two whole games in the KHL (huge sample size, I know and one game was a lovely pixellated 220x120) and he didn't look terrible defensively. Not enough for me to consider him a defensive liability.

My point is I'd like to see someone who has won faceoffs in the past at a high level (that's proven statistically) be put in that position here. If he sucks, fine put Tanguay back.

IMO, it's also easier to teach someone to backcheck than it is to teach them to win a faceoff. It's even easier to have a defensive forward on the (left) wing take that responsibility as well - and was common practice from 1994-2004.

Also also, sometimes the best defense is a good offense. If you have the puck after a faceoff, defense becomes a lot easier.

Lazar Beams is offline   Reply With Quote