View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 05:07 PM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
We can't give away high picks forever? Well, yeah not FOREVER, but we can afford to give them away more than most teams. Most teams are looking for the foundation of their lineup. We already have it. You don't think Edmonton will be willing to trade away some high picks in a year or two? It will absolutely happen.

Plus didn't we only trade away one #1 pick? And we had two this year. Yeah trading your 2nd rounder every single year is probably not a good idea, but all in all I'm trading picks if I need to with this team. Those trades are made in the interest of the Cup. The draft following a particular season seems decades away at the deadline.
I have mixed feelings on this and frankly - between the fact that the salary cap system is still relatively new and only in the last 6-7 years have I become more in tune to our development system - I just don't have enough perspective to understand how the Pens should handle the situation.

Here's what I will say: sooner or later, the Pens need to plug in one or some young wingers (i.e. 1st or 2nd contract) or the payroll situation won't be tenable. I suppose they don't necessarily be homegrown, they could be acquired through other means, but there's no way we'll be able to retain the "core" (let's call them Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang and Fleury) while also paying market value for established stars on their 2nd-3rd contract. It just won't happen. In an ideal world, we would really have 2-4 wingers as I've described, but at this point, we're in desperate need of at LEAST ONE!