View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Or maybe Karlsson is better defensively than you give him credit for.
Indeed. People tend to assume that players who are great offensively must be lacking defensively or vice versa, even if it has no basis in fact. The schema makes sense, but can often lead to an ecological fallacy when applied without care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If he is so important to your franchise then it's likely you should make an exception.
You should, but it looks like the Canadiens are too proud to make one (or they think they can get the player to cave). That's to their own detriment. I say the Flyers should make a massive offer sheet for him (just below the 4 1sts threshold) and force the Canadiens to make a decision based on dollars, not principles.

Quote:
As far as him being our #1, yeah he's slightly better than both Timonen and Coburn at this point in their respective careers. There's no doubt he would be our #1. That still doesn't change how I feel about acquiring him. It's not like we're acquiring Chris Pronger here.
I don't think your feelings about acquiring him are very well reasoned, to be blunt about it. "You don't win with players like him" is a cookie-cutter takedown that reeks of bias. I think you could argue that Subban is much more valuable than Pronger when the Flyers acquired him because he has many more good years ahead of him, no medical baggage (I am talking about c. 2009 medical baggage, not 2012 head trauma outcome bias), and the game is getting faster and faster.

Quote:
I'd love to throw something like a 1st + McGinn/Wellwood at Calgary for JayBo at the deadline honestly. Maybe they'd need more for him though because he's there defense at this point.

Maybe they tank for a high pick though. Who knows.
You don't believe in giving up some assets and paying PK Subban what he's worth, but you want to throw a 1st + at Calgary for 29-year-old Jay Bouwmeester and his $6.8 M cap hit? What!?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote