Height: 6'0''
Weight: 185 lbs
Position: Center
Shoots: Left
Date of Birth: March 05, 1918
Place of Birth: Kitchener, Canada

Stanley Cup Champion (1939, 1941)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1946, 1953)
First All-Star Team Centre (1940, 1947, 1951)
Second All-Star Team Centre (1952)
Art Ross Trophy (1940)
Conn Smythe Winner (1941**)
Hart Memorial Trophy (1951)
Lester Patrick Trophy (1976)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1947, 1948, 1951, 1952)
Canada Sports Hall of Fame (1975)
Team Captain (1950–1955)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1961)
#15 Retired by the Boston Bruins (1980)

Top-10 Scoring (1st, 4th, 4th, 10th, 10th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (2nd, 6th, 9th)
Top-10 Assist (1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th)
Top-10 Playoff Scoring (1st, 4th, 6th, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (2nd, 4th, 4th, 7th, 8th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th)
Top-10 Hart Nomination (1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th)

- #28 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- #31 on History of Hockey list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players (2008 edition)
- #34 on History of Hockey list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players (2009 edition)
- Named the best all-around player of the 1940's by Ultimate Hockey
- It's coach and former Montreal Canadiens defenseman Albert Leduc that gave the nickname ''The Krauts'' to Milt Schmidt and his two linemate
- On February 11, 1942, the final game before the Kitchener trio was to depart to serve Canada, the Bruins spanked Montreal 8-1, and ''The Kraut Line'' earned 22 points between them
- With the World War II and the animosity toward Germany, they held a contest in Boston to change the famous Kitchener native trio's nickname. ''The Buddy Line'' was supposed to be the new Schmidt's line nickname, but it never stick
- After his playing career, he worked as a coach and a general manager for the Boston Bruins and the Washington, all between 1955 and 1976
- Elected into the World Wide Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Thanks to the memories of the decreasing old time fans, writers and most importantly on ice peers, Schmidt is still recognized as one of the greatest players in NHL history.
Schmidt was considered to be the ultimate two-way player of his day, a Trottier or Steve Yzerman of the 1940s. He was small but determined. He was a strong skater and clever puck distributor but also a great finish. As beautiful as he was to watch on the offense, the Bruins long time captain took equal pride in the defensive zone, and was not afraid to get his nose dirty. While he usually played cleanly, one reporter described his play as "angry."

Two years later it was Schmidt who led the Bruins to another Cup. After a relative off-season (13-25--38pts in the regular season), Schmidt led the Bruins to their second Cup in three years by collecting five goals and six assists for 11 points in as many playoff games. In this era prior to a MVP award for Stanley Cup playoff competition, it is unanimously agreed Schmidt was the key cog. The Bruins lost NHL scoring leader Bill Cowley to a knee injury in the very first game of the playoffs. Schmidt came through with a hard-checking style that earned him mention as a game star in four of the games against Toronto, then was great in the finals with points in all four games. He led all playoff scorers by 3 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
The ''oaken-hearted'' Schmidt was a superb playmaker, known for creating brilliant scoring plays at breakneck speeds. Despite being one of the more aggressive players in the NHL, he played the game clean and hard

Peak Years 1939-43
Comparable Recent Players- Mark Messier
In a Word- LION

Best All-Around Player Of The 1940's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's Who in Hockey
The saddest part of Milt Schmidt's career was that the majestic center excelled in the National Hockey League in the pretelevision era.

Comparable to Gordie Howe in style, Milt's fearlessness and multiple talents escaped the realm of of videotape, but not legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail of the Stanley Cup, Vol.2
Milt Schmidt began his spectacular career with the Boston Bruins in 1937. He became the great playmaking centre of the ''Kraut'' line.He was very much to the fore in 1939 when the Bruins swept top to the championship and won the Stanley Cup. Despite missing several games during the season with an ankle cut he was a standout in the playoffs.He became the policeman of the Boston front line, and in consequence, his penalty record stepped up. Schmidt was a rugged and skilled stick-handler with leadership qualities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail of the Stanley Cup, Vol.2
Schmidt was by far the most aggressive and physically imposing of the three. During his career he suffered so many ailments it was hard to keep track: a broken jaw courtesy of Mac Colville; torn cartilage in his ribs; and ligament damage to both knees courtesy, most notably, of Bill Barilko. All were the result of his style of play.

Although he played 16 years in the NHL, Schmidt missed much time during the height of his career when he left the team to join the air force, a stint that lasted three and a half seasons.

(In 1939, first game of the Stanley Cup final) The Kraut Line was dominant in Game One, with Milt Schmidt engineering both Bruins goals, in a 2-1 victory.
Quote:
''Milt was the best player in the League when I came up''- Elmer Lach
Quote:
''As a center, you rarely see a fast skater. He was a playmaker he had everything: Milt Schmidt could shoot, tough, nobody touched Milt Schmidt!'' - Bernard Geoffrion
Quote:
"I wasn't the biggest guy in the world, but I was pretty aggressive," - Milt Schmidt
Quote:
"I would dare say that the biggest charge that I got out of playing hockey was winning that first Stanley Cup." - Milt Schmidt
Quote:
''Milt was tall and very strong, bigger than me. He had a favorite trick: He’d push the puck between my skates and then he’d just run right over me. They were a great line to play against.'' - Elmer Lach
Quote:
''The man who made the Krauts work was Milt Schmidt, the big center'' -
''He was a player that seems so dominant in that ERA of being, not only a good, talented player but a very tough hockey player at the same time. He could take it, but he could also dish it out.''
- Dick Irvin
Quote:
''You touch that guy, I gotta tell you this he got your number. And you know those years when we were playing 14 games against each others, seven our of town, seven at home, he had plenty of time.'' - Bernard Geoffrion
Quote:
''I was not a Lady Bing player. I lost that at the opening face-off, after the first minute of the opening game!'' - Milt Schmidt
Quote:
''You talk to the old timers who played against him like Ted Kennedy, Syl Apps Sr. and other guys who played against him, about how hard he played, how tough he was. He wasn't that big, and you think he was a little dirty guy, but you looked up and see they were seasons when he only had 12 minutes of penalties.'' - Frank Orr, journalist
Quote:
''Not only a great player, but a gentleman. On the ice or off the ice, he was always the same guy. Milt Schmidt always going to have my respect.'' - Bernard Geoffrion
Quote:
Red Storey was asked to pick his All-Time NHL All-Star team: Bill Durnan in goals, King Clancy and Eddie Shore at defense and Howie Morenz, Ted Lindsay and Gordie as the forwards: ''Now I'll pick you another team that'd knock the socks off that one. Give me five Milt Schmidts up front and put my grandmother in goal and we'd never lose'' - Red Storey
Quote:
''There's no doubt that Milt Schmidt was the best center I have ever played against. He was a good scorer too'' - Maurice Richard
More to come....

Last edited by JFA87-66-99: 01-27-2013 at 10:05 AM.
JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote