View Single Post
Old
01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Didn't see where you were limiting your comment to a single draft year...

Starting in 98 with Datsyuk, look at their draft picks. A TON of the great players they developed were later picks.
you're using a ridiculously small sample size. I asked what the average expected performance for 2nd round picks was. Your response was "Red Wings."

I'll do the work for you, for 7 years, I guess.

2005 - Justin Abdelkader
2006 - Cory Emmerton
- Shawn Matthias
- Dick Axelsson
2007 - N/A
2008 - Peter Delmas
2009 - Landon Ferraro
- Tomas Tatar
2010 - Calle Jarnkrok
2011 - Tomas Jurco
- Ryan Sproul

Now, 2005 was just a date I picked, going to have dinner soon. If you want to go back further, feel free. I probably did a disservice to the sample to include 2010/2011 picks, because... well, it's the Red Wings, their picks aren't going to be playing within 3 years.

But my overall point remains: 2nd round picks aren't sure things. The Red Wings have developed late round picks into true Superstars players, but they have far more misses than hits.

I'm guessing if you did a full study on this (actually, someone probably has), you'll find that most 2nd round picks don't produce meaningfully at the NHL level.

edit: from your link - of their 2nd round picks that stayed in the organization (17), they played an average of 77.1 NHL games.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote