TERRY SAWCHUK

Height: 5'11''
Weight: 180 lbs
Position: Goaltender
Catch: Left
Date of Birth: December 28, 1929
Place of Birth: Winnipeg, Canada
Date of Death: May 31, 1970 (Age: 40)

Stanley Cup Champion (1952, 1954, 1955, 1967)
Stanley Cup Finalist (1957, 1961, 1963, 1964)
First All-Star Team Goalie (1951, 1952, 1953)
Second All-Star Team Goalie (1954, 1955, 1959, 1963)
Calder Memorial Trophy (1951)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1952**, 1954**)
Vezina Trophy (1952, 1953, 1955, 1965)
Lester Patrick Trophy (1971)
Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame (1982)
Canada Sports Hall of Fame (1975)
Inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame (1971)
#1 Retired by the Detroit Red Wings (1994)

Top-5 Wins (1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 5th)
Top-5 Shutouts (1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 5th )
Top-5 Goals Against Average (1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th)
Top-5 Hart Nomination (3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th)

- #9 on The Hockey News' list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players
- #19 on History of Hockey list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players (2008 edition)
- #24 on History of Hockey list of the 100 Greatest Hockey Players (2009 edition)
- 5th All-Time in Wins (447)
- 1st All-Time in Shutouts (103)
- Selected as Manitoba's Hockey Player of the Century
- Sawchuk was the first player ever to be named rookie of the year in three different leagues: with Omaha in the USHL, with Indianapolis in the American Hockey League and in his first full year with Detroit in the NHL.
- Terry Sawchuk began wearing his famous "Sawchuk-styled" mask in 1962, a mask made by Red Wings assistant trainer Lefty Wilson.
- Sawchuk was suspended on June 15th 1957 by the Boston Bruins for leaving the team due to a nervous disorder
- Sawchuk registered his 100th shutouts on March 3rd 1967
- Elected into the World Wide Hockey Hall of Fame in 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hockey
Sawchuk was a big man with exceptionnal reflexes. He chose to work from a bizarre ''gorilla-crouch'' style, with his head hung low and his arms sweeping the ice. This style allowed him to defend his goal against goal-mouth scrambles and screened shots. He was a fierce competitor.

Peak Years 1952-56
Comparable Recent Player- Dominik Hasek
In a Word- SEETHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail of The Stanley Cup, Vol.3
Terry Sawchuk, one of the greatest goalkeepers the game has known. Sawchuk was a fairly big man, who had very sharp reflexes and his arms and legs moved like lightning in defence of his goal. He was a crouching type of goalkeeper and he thought this technique gave him a better chance against screened shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHOF
In a playoff year where the checkers reigned supreme, Sawchuk came up with a performance of legendary quality. He shutout Toronto twice and gave them three goals in four games, then allowed the second place Canadiens only two goals while shutting them out in the final two contests. His goals against average was 0.63 and he had an incredible saves percentage of .977.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Alumni
His eye-popping regular season statistics suggested the second-year phenom was going to have a post-season to remember. Sawchuk, the proud son of Winnipeg, Manitoba, had the entire hockey world talking as the push for the Cup began. His sterling playoff display, however, would leave them speechless.

Sawchuk not only won all eight games en route to capturing Lord Stanley's fabled mug, he allowed a measly five goals in 480 minutes of play, for a ridiculously low 0.63 goals against average. Each stat was more impressive than the previous one, with the exception of the number underneath the category that read shutouts.

It was more than just sheer talent that set Sawchuk apart from his goaltending fraternity. Certainly, he had the agility and tenacity that made him difficult to beat from any spot on the ice, but it was style that truly confounded the opposition.

He would strike an imposing figure in front of the net, standing bent over in a deep crouch position, frequently dropping to his knees to block shots. It was an unorthodox style at the time, but it would eventually become a staple of the goaltending world, an approach commonly known as "the butterfly."

Although he revolutionized the game by employing that particular style, Sawchuk was far from a novelty act. In an era when backstoppers didn't wear masks, Sawchuk, who played a majority of his career without face shield, was the only one bold enough to play low to the ground, putting himself in an unenviable position night after night. He was, by all accounts, a legitimate superstar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Illustrated
Goalie Terry Sawchuk of the National Hockey League's Detroit Red Wings is generally considered to be the finest net-minder extant. In Detroit's drive for an unprecedented seventh straight league championship, Sawchuk is an indispensable factor.

The other is Terry Sawchuk, who quit the Boston Bruins three years ago because his nerves, he said, were shattered. He rested for half a season, and now he is the goalie for the Wings and probably the finest goalie playing hockey today.

Sawchuk is a marvelous goaltender to behold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Considering the serious injuries that Terry sustained during his career it's simply amazing how he could put up such impressive numbers. As a child he fractured his right arm that later required three surgeries and still grew back two inches shorter than the left one, the bone chips in Terry’s elbow numbered almost 60. Some of his other injuries included:

- The eye injury in Omaha
- A punctured lung in a car accident
- Torn tendons in his hand
- An emergency appendectomy
- Ruptured spinal discs
- Mononucleosis
- A nervous breakdown
- More than 600 stitches
- Neuritis in the nerves of his legs
- A swayed back brought on by his style of playing goal
- Insomnia
- Migraine headaches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Red Wing Official Website
Hockey's most talented netminder was also the game's most tortured soul. No one stopped the puck better than Terry Sawchuk. And perhaps no hockey player endured as much tragedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs Top 100 Toronto's Greatest Players of All-Time
Sawchuk's time in Toronto will be best remembered for his performance in the '67 postseason. After the (April 15th 1967 playoff game against Chicago) game, the Chicago players were using words like ''brilliant'', ''fantastic'' and ''great'' to describe Sawchuk's performance.
Quote:
- ''Sawchuk was an angles goalie who wanted you to shoot. But, if you preferred to put a move on him, he was happy to oblige.'' - Jean Béliveau
Quote:
- "You could throw a handful of corn at him and he'd catch every kernel" - Ted Lindsay
Quote:
- "One of the fine things about Terry, is he's a stand-up goalie. He doesn't fall all over the ice. He stands there and waits and usually takes the shot with his glove or brushes it away with his stick. You'll notice that not many people get rebounds off Sawchuk on long shots. When the puck comes in he stops it and clears it quickly away from the cage." - Sid Abel
Quote:
- ''Terry acted like he was triplets. He swooped from side to side, jumped up and down as if on a pogo stick and fielded shots like a Phil Rizzuto (New York Yankees all-star infielder)."- A Detroit Sportwritter, resuming Sawchuk performance in the 1952 playoffs
'
Quote:
- "Sawchuk was the greatest goalie I’ve ever seen, no doubt about it. He was the quickest I’ve ever seen." - Bob Pulford
Quote:
- "The Uke (Sawchuk) was the best goalie I ever saw. Everything that a goalie should be!" - Gordie Howe
Quote:
- "I saw a lot of the greats, but to my mind, I haven't seen anyone better than Sawchuk. Reflexes, angles - he had it all and he also had a lot of guts. He was fearless in the net and extremely confident." - Jimmy Skinner, former Detroit Red Wing coach
Quote:
- ''(Sawchuk) is the best that ever played'' - Dave Keon
Quote:
- ''He played so well. I can still see him standing on his head I can still see him challenging Hull shots after shot after night, I think Hull had 14 shots on him and it was such a courageous event he put on that night, just the way he came out, cut the angles. He knew he was going to get hit by that puck, but he just went out and did it anyway. He was black and blue all over his body after that night - Ron Ellis, talking about one of Sawchuk performance in the 1967 playoffs
Quote:
- ''All I could remember, and I'll never forget, is looking at Terry Sawchuk and say to myself: ''this is the greatest goaltender I have ever seen''. - Émile Francis, looking at Sawchuk's death body at the morgue
Quote:
- "A lot of people think he was the greatest goalkeeper who ever played the game. I include myself in that group." - Glenn Hall
More To come.....

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote