View Single Post
Old
06-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Belso

vCash: 500
"MONTREAL CANADIENS

The Good
The good news is that Montreal already has a little bit of everything in their system. All they needed to do was sprinkle even more depth into every position. If anything, they needed better quality on the back-end, and some high-end skill up the middle. They addressed those issues at the draft table.

The Bad
The Habs grabbed four defensemen and two pivots, when perhaps it should have been the other way around. In a draft where everyone seemed to grabbing centermen early, perhaps it was all Montreal could do.

The Unique
Of the two pivots, Ben Maxwell (49th overall) has the most offensive upside, something that Montreal desperately needs in their system at center. Ryan White, however, was a bit of a steal at 66th overall.

The Grade: B
Montreal did what they came to do, but were strangely silent on the trade front. They obviously will look to address some immediate needs via free agency."

I agree with this version. I've read a few other opinions on the draft and I liked this one most. The Habs needed Centers and D-men and went to get them because they were available. What would we have done with a Goalie that may or may not pan out, when you have no D-men in the farm that you can really count on? Emelin won't be coming over and how much faith can you put in O’Byrne? I Remeber when Hainsey was supposed to be our savior. He ended up getting traded before he did any good. Doesn't leave the Habs much if O'Byrne doesn't pan out.

Any of you notice that a bunch of teams in these reviews have that sleeper or steal pick? Sort of makes it seem less impressive when so many of teams have these superb picks.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote